Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Medical Marijuana Bill Veto Override Fails in NH Senate

UnionLeader.com - Medical marijuana veto override fails in Senate - Wednesday, Oct. 28, 2009

Posted using ShareThis

"The Legislature failed today to override Gov. John Lynch’s veto of a bill that would have allowed seriously and terminally ill patients legal access to marijuana. It takes a two-thirds majority in both the House and Senate to override a veto."


During the legislative session, Governor Lynch refused to meet with chronically and terminally ill patients who were lobbying on behalf of this bill. Yep - he refused to meet with these constituents. He fobbed them off on some "advisors." I know - I was there. My husband (who died in August) had multiple myeloma. I was the public face of David's support for the medical marijuana bill, since he couldn't travel. I'm certain Lynch would have given an insurance company lobbyist a private audience, but he refused these people.

These are not people who are going to sell drugs to schoolchildren. These are people who use marijuana to relieve pain, anxiety, and for appetite stimulation.

I won't be supporting or voting for Lynch again. This is not the only reason why, but call it the twig (seed, bud, bong) that broke this camel's back.

My state Senator, John Gallus, whom I seldom agree with, was a co-sponsor of the medical marijuana bill. Thank you Senator Gallus.

Senator Betsi DeVries was the only Democrat who voted against the bill initially, and then the sole Dem to vote against the override. I sure hope she never has to watch someone she loves die of a long, lingering, painful, and debilitating disease. The kind where you would do anything, anything to stop them from suffering. It will be a terrible way for her to learn compassion.

1 comment:

DissedBelief said...

I'm so sorry Susan you had to experience a beloved partners suffering and loss. It's been so many years since I worked in the health care profession, but the double standards practiced by our politicians have always amazed me. Hospice care is assisted dying usually with the use of various pharmaceutical cocktails and lots of morphine. I quickly became aware that the use of marijuana, legal as medicine in RI really worked as a substance to relieve pain and invoke some semblance of appetite and interest.

I used to respect and like Gov. Lynch, but of late, I'm more and more disillusioned with his status quo stance, passionless politicking and absolute lack of investment in his duties to us. I'm with you on this one. If he doesn't do a turn around and quickly, I'm voting for someone else. Strength to you Susan.