Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Goodbye Granny D



NH citizen activist Doris Haddock, known to all as Granny D, died this afternoon. Doris turned 100 in January.

She was a remarkable woman, who had a long and interesting life. She was no passive citizen - Doris took active citizenry to new heights at an advanced age. I want to be just like her.

The big news stories and accolades will be coming in tomorrow - but for now, this story from the Nashua Telegraph will do:

“I have nothing to leave behind for my … grandchildren and great-grandchildren but I can give them a legacy and a lesson they can carry through their own lives,” Haddock said in a recent interview.

The lesson is what Haddock calls the “power of one” and she most humbly thanks Bonnie Riley, a former teacher. During a 1996 meeting of women activists who got together weekly in Francestown, Riley dared Haddock to act on her outrage over a $50 billion congressional earmark for a tobacco company.

“She wouldn’t just let me complain about it. She changed my life,” Haddock declared


h/t to The Austin Chronicle for the great picture.

1 comment:

DissedBelief said...

What a lovely tribute this is to her Susan. And you are just like her! You have been active for many more years and educate the rest of us with your in depth research and educational writing. Granny D was a grand lady. I just wish I could feel more positive about our political world than I do.