Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Welcome, Bienvenue, Wilkommen!

I went to visit my father's grave yesterday in Massachusetts. On the way, I stopped (as a middle aged female coffee drinker is wont to do) at the I-95 rest area in Hampton.



The parking lot was packed. Tourists returning from a holiday weekend in NH were taking the opportunity to stock up with cheap booze on the way home.



Tourism is NH's second largest industry. The top half of the state relies heavily on tourist dollars. Our idea of catering to tourists seems to consist of providing alcohol factory outlet shopping along the highway. 



Let's hope the tourists don't remember us for the bathroom at this rest stop. A narrow, unventilated space, painted dreadful colors, and reeking of the farts of the last 10,000 years. 


Thanks for visiting NH! Ya'll come back now, y'hear?? 






5 comments:

Janice K said...

Wow, do you think maybe they could even provide trash cans in the parking lot? I don't know about the rest stop that you stopped at, but the one off of I-93 N, between exit 18 & 19 removed all trash cans from the parking lot. I'm not too sure that is a good message to visitors either!
I agree with you 100%. I know I remember nasty bathrooms and avoid them like the plague!

susanthe said...

I did see a trashcan, Janice. It was between the bathrooms and the Made in NH store.

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog, but it's "bienvenue" en Francais, SVP. Merci!

susanthe said...

Ack! Thanks, anonymous. I'll fix that right away!

Anonymous said...

Yes, the NH rest stops are indeed terrible and I have always felt it a terrible reflection on us that we sell alcohol in huge outlets at these rest stops. What does this say about us and the population of this state? It just doesn't look good period. There has and always will be bleating and complaining about no money to fix anything. There is the money. It's just finding it that appears to be the problem.