Thursday, July 18, 2019

Till We Meet Again


              Cartoon by Dennis Rano - published in the Conway Daily Sun on April 19, 1997



In 1983, President Reagan signed the bill that would make Martin Luther King Jr. Day a federal holiday. It began to be observed three years later in many states. Not all states. New Hampshire was one of the states that chose not to. In 1991, the legislature abolished Fast Day, in order to create Civil Rights Day, a holiday that would coincide with MLK Day, but not use his name. Finally, in 1999 NH became the last state to honor Dr. King. 

There was a lot of discussion by white people in a white state, on how it would be wrong to honor Dr. King because he was a Communist, or an adulterer, or something – any excuse other than the real reason they didn’t want to honor him.

The public debate went on for years. In those halcyon, pre-internet days, the debate was fought in the letters to the editor sections of local newspapers. The Conway Daily Sun was no exception to the MLK wars. I was one of the participants. For a few years I mixed it up with the local anti-King population, hand writing letters, and sending them to the newspaper. That seems quaint now, doesn’t it?

Then I moved to California for a couple of years, and didn’t participate in the letter wars. I came back just in time for the OJ verdict. I promised myself I’d stay out of the letter wars, but one day in a moment of weakness, I jumped back in. I wrote a letter that was sharply critical of the way women were represented in the paper, after the county sheriff expressed a willingness to spank bare-bottomed 14-year old girls in the center of town. They responded by offering me a column. That was on February 10, 1996. My first column was published on February 17, titled, “Some of My Best Friends Are Men.” 

It’s been 23 years of ups and downs. I somehow grew into being a columnist, which might have been easier if I’d be smart enough to ask for help. I did get some good advice along the way from both Mark Guerringue and Bill Marvel. My first editor was Anne Edwards, who was kind to the clueless new person, and took a photo of a Barbie doll that I used as my profile photo whenever I could.

The first few years brought a lot of hate mail. It was hard to handle that in the beginning.  It was interesting to look back 23 years later and read through a stack of letters from men explaining what “real” feminism was. I’d forgotten about some of my anti-fan club. Some died. Some gave up. Some had encounters with karma. One prissy and prolific Christian who wrote endless letters professing his piety went on to be arrested for having a house full of drugs and molesting boys.  

I was given the freedom to write about anything I wanted. Looking back over a stack of old paper columns, I wrote about rape, domestic violence, and guns, but I also wrote about Georgia O’Keeffe, music, suicide, the war on drugs, and the need to let people mourn. I was often too serious in the early years, and sometimes I did write things intended to piss people off. Judging by the stack of old letters, it worked. 

Eventually I found a niche and a voice in writing about NH politics, and the goings on at the State House. I’ve learned a great deal about how the legislature functions, some of it the nuts and bolts stuff, and some if it the behind the scenes dealings. I’ve learned plenty about legislators, some good, some bad. A state representative has even sued me for defamation. One year, two courts, and four dismissals later, he finally accepted losing the suit. He also lost re-election.

It’s been an eventful 23 years. I’ve run for office, been homeless, had two moose collisions, been married, widowed, and nearly killed in a car crash. Now it’s time to say adieu for a while. I love this crazy state, but circumstances require my moving closer to my family in Maine. I’ll be learning an entirely new state and a new state legislature.

I want to thank Mark Guerringue, who gave me this opportunity. I’ve exasperated him on occasion, but he has always been firmly in my corner. Terry Leavitt was joy to work with as my editor for a few years, and Margaret McKenzie has been terrific as my editor in the last year or two. The late Ron Tunning did a turn as my editor, and we became friends. I still miss him. A small town paper is an increasingly rare commodity at a time when they are desperately needed. I’m going to miss being part of this one. 

Thank you, readers.  I’ll miss you most of all.  

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing, I've enjoyed your work.

Jim Eshelman said...

Sad to read your goodbye from the Sun. Thanks for shining a beacon on those NH legislative insanities all these years.
Jim Eshelman
Freedom

Unknown said...

Thank you seems inadequate. You've done so much to move many. You've taught many to "listen up." Indeed you and your thoughtful writing will be missed. Onward!

Paul Sand said...

Best wishes. Although we disagreed on a lot, I've appreciated the chance to hear your views.

Sal Santamaura said...

So sorry to see you leave the Sun, Susan. I'm a California resident who owns land in Bartlett, and I read the paper every day it's published. The valley is diminished by your exit. If only Terrible Tom were departing instead.

wethesheeple said...

You will be missed. Wish there were a thousand more writers like you, especially in these troubling and mind numbing times. Those haters, well, the "sheeple" hate the truth, denial being the lazier, mindless escape route. You are in fact a most patriotic reporter and Maine will now benefit from your sharp viewpoints. In this individuals opinion, it isn't such a bad thing to leave NH. I may doing the same in a few years to come.

NHRESOURCES said...

Work hard in Maine Bruciekins.

Work Makes You Free.

Steven J. Connolly

susanthe said...

Ah, Steven. A bitter, angry, little man, till the very end.

For years you've trolled me - because you've been furious that I had a paid writing job and you do not. A guy who can't write a coherent sentence, with proper punctuation - yet you look in the funhouse mirror at your house and see a Pulitzer Prize winner.

You should try joining a club. You might be able to make some friends.